Saturday, November 24, 2007

podcast essay

The music is mellow; making you think that everything is dreamy and everyday from now on will be fine. If you listen to the words, the man is depressed. He wants his girl, but she doesn’t want him. He really wants her to come back to him, he thinks to himself" maybe the sun will shine today"; he has hope that maybe she will come back.

Impossible Germany, Unlikely Japan; obviously this means something to the writer, others may not perceive what he means. “I know you’re not listening” shows that he knows that people wouldn’t know what he is really talking about.

The album as a whole is all about heartbreak, hopelessness, and even a hint that there is hope. Also there is a lot of giving up in the songs. The writer is very confused on what he wants to do and what he really thinks will happen. One minute he is hopeful that he will get his girl back. Another he just feels like he should stop trying

If you just listened to the song, not the lyrics, then you could easily fall asleep, or read. These songs are great for just letting your mind wander. The first time I listened to the album, was in class. As I was listening to it, I tried to actually listen, but it was hard. All I wanted to do was put my head down and daydream.

You cannot listen to this album for long, unless you were intending on falling asleep with it. I would have to change it up a bit with some metal then some country and even something happier. As soon as I have to actually pick apart a song that I could have enjoyed, I tend to not like it very much anymore. Listening to it right now I want to just turn it off because it is annoying me actually. I need to finish this yet I’m on the edge of falling asleep.

This whole album makes it hard to differentiate each song, its like one very long song that never ends, and you desperately want it to so you can listen to a much better song that wont annoy you. Well, in the songs, the writer talks about very destructive things such as war and loneliness, but then he says everything will get better eventually. He still, after everything, has a good brain and can think past all the bad things in life. He has the will, for now, to move on and be happy. But you know that the sadness will come back, it just seems to be his way. Maybe he needs a shrink.

All in all, the album music was alright, the lyrics had good meaning if you’re in the mood to actually sit down and try to understand everything he has to offer. Would I listen o this album again? Yes I would, when I want to take an afternoon nap. Otherwise, I will stick with my heavy metal and upbeat happy country tunes. I hope that we can switch topics in the future and listen to happier things. And also, enough with the future, live in the moment for once.

1 comment:

Rory said...

dana-

wonder if "impossible germany..." refers to his being on the road all the time playing shows.

is this really just about a girl?

"heartbreak, hopelessness, hope" - nice alliteration.

great use of active voice - your writing flows nicely - a huge improvement from the start of the year.

overall, sound analysis. really enjoy reading your writing/perspective.